Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Day 51 - Monday, April 4 - Ko Pha Ngan

Woke up and had a new plan for the day. I decided to proceed with my Ko Tao plans but not before checking out of Pingjum and spending the day and night down at Had Rin.

Had Rin is on the southeast point of the island and is divided into 2 sections, Had Rin Nok (Sunrise Beach) or the lively party beach, and Had Rin Nai (Sunset Beach) or the quieter ugly beach. The 2 beaches sandwich a very busy peninsula filled with stores, stalls, restaurants, bars, internet shops, and, of course, a 7-11. Had Rin Nok is where the world famous "Full Moon Parties" take place but I won't be here for the full moon so I'll be just fine.

Checked out, paid my bill, and waited for the "water taxi" to pick me up. The ride down the eastern side of the island was terible. The seas were ridiculously rough and there were numerous times I thought we were going to capsize. Two girls got sick, one over the side of the boat, and the other just sitting with her head in her palms throwing up at her feet. Needless to say, a great time was had by all.

Got down to Had Rin at 10:30A, and got a great room at Palita Lodge on Had Rin Nok, Julie Jones' recommendation. I have an amazing bungalow right on the beach - it's clearly the best location of all the bungalows I've had so far. I think I scored one of the best at Palita, if not the whole beach. I sacraficed air con and it was a great call as there is a constant fierce wind that blows across the beach all day and night. I'm paying slightly (or a lot) more than I normally like to but it's under $20 at a lovely price of 700 baht. 400 baht has been the price I like to stay around but as they say, location, location, location!

The surf here is pretty great and everyone was in the ocean frolicking about in what are certainly the biggest waves I've seen in Thailand to date. I swam for a bit and then walked around the town a bit. I like Had Rin - it's not as crazy as everyone made it out to be. It's nice to have a real town for a change over the quiet beaches with nothing but some local life around.

I hung on the beach and had a few beers with a bunch of English guys and girls and just enjoyed a new beach and a new scene. We all walked over to Sunset Beach (Had Rin Nai) to see a lame sunset and then headed back to our beach for a few beers. It was an early night, we said goodbye as they are leaving in the AM for Bangkok and back home to London. This wasn't a sad goodbye as I don't even remember their names 24 hours later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home