Sunday, February 20, 2005

THAI TOILETS - an educational post

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING SECTION EXPLAINS SOMETHING OF EXTREME IMPORTANCE HERE IN THAILAND - IF YOU AREN'T INTERESTED IN LEARNING ABOUT THE THAI (and I think all of Asia) TOILETS, PLEASE DO NOT READ. I DON'T WANT TO HEAR FROM PEOPLE HOW GROSS I AM CAUSE IT IS THE WAY IT IS AND NOT ME BEING DISGUSTING. BESIDES, A LOT OF PEOPLE READING THIS BLOG HAVE NEVER BEEN TO ASIA SO MAY NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS.

The Toilet is a strange thing here. Well, not strange to the Thai (maybe all of Asia) but certainly strange to the Westerners.

For starters, the squat toilet is traditional. I have not used one yet so I can't comment. All places I've been to either have a Western Toilet or some of each.

Second, you can't find a roll of toilet paper to save your life here in a bathroom but every restaurant and food vendor on the street has rolls of it that they
use as napkins. They even have pretty dispensers for it. Sort of like
a tissue box holder but shaped for a roll of toilet paper.

I finally figured out the Thai way of using the bathroom with a little help from
the internet and a local at the Guest House I'm staying at. You do your business and then hose your bottom (remember, this blog is rated G) off with the provided hose that hangs next to the toilet in all Thai bathrooms. They use the hose coupled with their LEFT HAND to clean themselves and then always wash their hands after using the restroom. They say it's the reason we shake hands and supposed to EAT with your right hand. If they see you eating with your left hand, they get offended. Not really sure what left handed people are supposed to do. I hope I'm not grossing out the whole country of Thailand!!!! I have now been on the lookout for a Thai eating with his/her left hand but I haven't found one yet. It very well may be that whether left or right handed, you eat with your right hand.

The hose part is ok. Sort of refreshing - I have NOT, nor will I use my
hand! I use a little piece of toilet paper for drying off purposes. Not sure what the locals do aside from leaving the bathroom with a wet ass.

I hope the above was informative and used as a learning experience as each day here in Thailand is a learning experience for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home