Sunday, April 17, 2005

Day 63 - Saturday, April 16 - Bangkok

At 9AM, I met Omar and Steph for breakfast. After a good nourishing meal and a few miscellaneous delays, we got a taxi to the sky train and got to CHATUCHEK, the weekend market.

I had heard that there are over 15,000 stalls selling everything from A-Z but you really have no idea. I was also told that it is hot, sweaty, crowded, cramped, and the smells from the food sections get trapped in the tiny little aisles - YOU HAVE NO IDEA!

There was one saving grace - it was only 95 degrees today with 92% humidity so it was tolerable!

The market is probably the best of the huge markets I've been to and although it can be hot and sweaty in sections, there are a few big outdoor aisles that you can escape to for a breather. There is everything from local Thai souvenirs, food stalls, clothing, housewares, a plant section, a pet section, and everything else you can possibly imagine. It's MASSIVE!

We split up as there was no way we would be able to keep up with each other and coincidentally met back up at about 4PM when I was walking toward an exit. We had a light lunch at the market and then took a cab back to Shanti.

We hung out in the restaurant area until 7:00PM at which time we all took a tuk tuk to Khao San Road. They were heading to catch their bus to Ko Tao and I went along for the ride as there are a few things I needed to pick up - one being a nice BIG new suitcase to transport all the crap I've managed to accumulate along the way. I didn't buy the suitcase but I did manage to buy a few more things to put IN the suitcase once I get it. Tomorrow morning I will assess what space I need and come back to get one that will fit everything.

I decided to walk back to Shanti as it will probably be one of my last evening walks amongst the heat filled streets of Bangkok.

Back at Shanti, I had a drink with the Spaniards I met yesterday and downloaded some info as they are about to embark on a similar journey and wanted some suggestions. A few beers later, I learned their names are Nico, Pablo, and Pau and they're in Thailand because they were working in Australia without the proper work visas and were kicked out of the country.

Two American girls joined us for a little bit and I was glad when they decided to go to Khao San Road to check out the "scene" there as one of them was quite annoying and almost forced me into my room early as she was giving Americans a bad name.

We called it a night at midnight and I went to sleep for my very last time in Thailand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home